Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 12

I love how well Jon gets along with my family. This is huge to me since my family is such a big part of my life. Jon doesn't just go along with things, he really makes an effort to love each person in my family. So I have invited some of my family to share some things throughout the next few days. Not because I am running out of things to write, but because I know they appreciate and love Jon too.
*******************************************************
Hi Jonny!!

I am SO excited to be a special guest on this blog...at such a very special time of year. You have to know how special you are because I haven't even touched my own blog in months!! I am so thankful Kim has given me the chance to tell you why you are important to me, too.

I could go on an on about the qualitities I love about you! Having you as a brother-in-law has been a joy from the beginning. I remember when you took Kim to Prom and other dances. I remember how wonderful it was to hear Kim read me letters you sent from Mexico. I was able to relive so many great mission experiences from your time as a faithful missionary. I know how important that time was for you...and for Kim. I could write about scavenger hunts all around the valley (twice) and how fun it was for me to be able to spend time with you. You are so fun to be around. Thank you for always joining to our creative/silly experiences. You are such a good sport!!
I also love how our families are close. I LOVE your family...your parents have been so instrumental in my life. I think often of the times I knelt with your dad, as my bishop, as I prepared to serve my mission. I also think of how wonderful your mom is. She is a friend of mine. She makes me laugh and I admire her so much for all that she has done. I have known Megan since she was five! We would read and play together. I loved that she sent me letters in college and on my mission. AND that Launa O'Malley makes me smile! The bond I have created with your family is a treasure in my life!

But, Jon, I really want to make sure you know that I am most thankful for one of your greatest qualities--the quality of unselfishness. Kim has touched on this in a few of her posts this month, and I want to personalize some feelings from my perspective.

First, I love spending time with your little family. My sister is a very important person in my life and I am happy when we can do things together. There have been many times when you have unselfishly sent her along to be with me...including overnight vacations. And now that the JOY of my life (your son) has entered the picture, I am even more grateful for the times I get to spend with them. I know there are many husbands and fathers that would be a little bitter about all of these times, but you aren't one of them. I am very thankful that you share your family so selflessly with others. That time is precious to me.

Even more personally, I have been on the recieving end of your kind, unselfish acts. One VERY cold morning, soon after you married Kim, I was at school in Layton getting ready for my day. I had been struggling with somethings and hadn't been very happy. That morning wasn't any better...until you walked through the door. There you were bright and early, in my classroom, with a cup of hot chocolate in your hand. You told me you were worried about me and that you wanted me to know that you cared about me. We had a wonderful talk (full of my tears--I'M SURE!!) and with a hug, you left before the bell rang. I felt so loved and appreciated after that converation. What a selfless drive you made to Layton! Your visit not only changed my mood, but it marked the true beginning of our brother/sister relationship. I knew you cared about me.

There have been years between then and now--years full of times when you have taken an interest in my life. I don't always let you know how much that means to me. I am sorry for that, but I want you to know that your actions never go unnoticed. You unselfishly make sure I am okay. I appreciate all that you have done to help and support me with school, getting new carpet, moving...the list continues to go on and on.

But, recently you touched my heart in a way that you may never understand. The letter I got in the mail from you came on a day when my heart was hurting and I was questioning some things about myself. I know you must have been inspired to write it, because everything you said was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I have read and reread your words and they have brought me a lot of peace. Your selfless act of following a prompting has, once again, blessed my life.

I love you, Jon! You are the BEST brother-in-law in the world! I appreciate your unselfish words and deeds. You are a great example of how to love family...and I am so blessed that you are part of mine!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Love, Michelle

No comments: